AGC has historically awarded up to a total of $20,000 , with individual recipients receiving scholarships in the amounts of $2,500 and $5,000. Due to the current pandemic and resulting financial uncertainty, AGC's Education Committee has taken steps to assist AGC with raising similar funding this year. While recognizing that the current environment is unpredictable, the Education Committee is hopeful that AGC's 2021 scholarship amounts will continue to be comparable to years past.
Applicants for an AGC Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be degree seeking.
- Applicants must plan to enter the construction industry or a related field (supportive field) such as accounting, insurance & bonding, human resources, etc.
- Applicant must be either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States and a resident of Alaska.
Scholarships are awarded based on the following criteria:
- Essays - Evaluation is made by assessing two essays. The combination of the essays should clearly describe the following:
- Career Goals: The applicant will explain in 500 words or less how their postsecondary degree will benefit the Alaskan construction industry.
- Applicant's Background: The applicant will describe in 500 words or less their current work and school commitments, family obligations, extra hobbies, etc.
- Extracurricular Activities and Interests. For example:
- Family obligations
- College and community activities
- Offices held
- Awards received
- Participation in sports
- Work experience
- Letters of Recommendations: Each applicant must include at least two (2) letters of recommendation dated within the past two (2) years, preferably from teachers or employers knowledgeable about applicant capabilities and work history.
- Transcripts: Include copies of recent official transcripts (save transcript as PDF copy and upload)
AGC will award scholarships based on a scoring guide developed by AGC's Education Committee. The committee provides a separate score for each of the following categories:
- Application received on-time
- Application completed in full and correctly followed instructions
- Degree relevant to construction industry
- Alaska focused
- Construction industry focused
- Community involvement
- Letters of recommendation
The members of the AGC Education Committee are responsible for making recommendations to the AGC Executive Director for selecting the recipients of the awards.
With recipient approval, award results will be listed in the AGC Alaska Contractor Magazine, AGC Newsletter, AGC Website and AGC Facebook page.
Submission of Applications:
Clicking the "Submit" button will send the application and attachments to Associated General Contractors of Alaska, Inc.
Selection of Award Recipients:
The decision of the AGC Executive Director is considered final and all applicants will be advised in writing of the decision.
Scholarships will be made payable to the recipient's university for the benefit of the recipient.