The Associated General Contractors of Alaska, Inc. (AGC of Alaska) scholarship program is designated to encourage students to pursue a career in the construction industry or related field. Specific career paths include: engineering, architecture, construction management, design, as well as any of the trades, or any other related careers such as safety, accounting, insurance, bonding, and human resources or other related services.
Scholarship applications must be submitted by March 31, 2023 at midnight Alaska time. The AGC Education, Training and Workforce Development (ETWD) Committee Review team will award up to $20,000 in scholarships. Scholarship recipients will be notified in May.
The objective of the Associated General Contractors' Scholarship Program is to encourage students to pursue a career in the construction industry.
- Applicants must plan to enter the construction industry or a related (supportive) field such as accounting, insurance, bonding, human resources, etc.
- An individual must submit a complete application with the following PDF attachments:
- One-page essay on career goals. Max 500 words
- One-page personal essay (i.e. hobbies, connection to industry, fulltime employment and fulltime student status, family obligations, etc.). Max 500 words
- Copy of recent transcripts (depending on applicant status may be high school or college-whichever is most applicable)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation written within the last two years.
- Applicant must be either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States and a resident of Alaska
ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS (ESSAYS, TRANSCRIPTS, LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION) MUST BE SUBMITTED AS PDF FILES.
The recipients of the scholarship awards are based on the following criteria:
- Career Goals: Evaluation is made by assessing the two essays described above
- Extracurricular Activities: Describe activities such as: do you work and go to school? Family obligations, college and community activities, offices held, awards received, participation in sports, work experience as indicated in the Personal Essay.
- Recommendations: Each applicant must include at least two (2) letters of recommendation written within the last 2 years, preferably from teachers or employers knowledgeable about applicants capabilities and work history.
- Transcripts: Include copies of recent transcripts.
Submittal of Applications:
- All applications must be submitted online by March 31st at midnight Alaska time.
- All supporting documents MUST be submitted as PDF files.
The applicant is responsible for submitting a complete application package.
Administration of Award:
General: The members of AGC's Education, Training, and Workforce Development Review Committee will act as the Scholarship Program Committee and are responsible for making recommendations to the AGC Executive Director for selecting the recipients of the award.
Publicity: Award results will be listed in the AGC newsletter, website, and social media pages. It will also be published in the Alaska Contractor magazine. By submitting this application you agree, if chosen as an AGC Scholarship recipient, to be featured in the publications and sites mentioned above.
Disbursement of the Scholarship Awards:
Disbursement of the scholarship awards shall be made in the form of a check in the name of the recipient and sent directly to the recipient's school or training center.